A non-immigrant alien is someone who is in the United States on a temporary basis, usually on a work, student, or tourist visa. Under the provisions of 27 CFR 178.97, non-immigrant aliens are prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms and ammunition while in the United States unless they are a citizen or national of the Visa Waiver Program (below) or meet any ONE of the below listed exceptions in section 922(y)(2) of the GCA.
Possess a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired. The hunting license does not have to be from the State from Colorado. There are several websites where a prospective hunter can get a license. Any state is fine as long as it is valid.
- Were admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes
Is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United
- States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States.
- Are an official of a foreign government or are designated as a distinguished foreign visitor by the Department of State, or
- Are a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
- Has received a waiver issued by the Attorney General of the United States or Department of Justice and obtaining approval under section 922(y)(3).
Permanent resident aliens and aliens lawfully admitted to the U.S. without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program) do not fall within the prohibition, and therefore do not need to meet one of the above exemptions to rent and shoot a firearm.
The following 38 countries are Visa Waiver Program participants:
A penalty for violation of this federal law is imprisonment of 5-10 years per occurrence. If you are visiting from a foreign country and do not meet the criteria for permitted persons, you are not permitted to shoot at DCF Guns.